RAD Studio Berlin Update 1
Embarcadero’s first update release for RAD Studio 10.1 Berlin is now available. Update 1 consists of new supported platform versions, features, enhancements and bug fixes.
What is in Delphi, C++Builder & RAD Studio Berlin 10.1 Update 1
In Summary: Update 1 brings official support for the latest operating systems:
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update
- iOS 10
- Android N (Nougat)
- macOS Sierra (due tomorrow, 20th September from Apple)
Update 1 delivers new component features and a number of quality updates.
- FireMonkey — Native platform rendering support for TGrid on iOS and Search filtering for the TListViews dynamic appearance mode.
- New FireMonkey demos that showcase the new functionality added in Update 1.
- C++Builder — Several compiler improvements —including allowing dynamic_cast<> across module boundaries and finding declarations within the IDE.
- Over 250 bug fixes & enhancements.
Installing update 1
The update is a full install and not a patch, so it is important to backup your configuration before you uninstall any pervious Berlin installations. Don’t try and install over the top, you MUST UNINSTALL YOUR EARLIER EDITION!!
To keep your settings between Berlin RTM and Update 1 it is recommended to use the Migration Tool (found in Windows Start menu for 10.1 Berlin). Using this tool you can save a snapshot of the configuration in the registry to a file, and later re-import the configuration to reduce setup time.
Move towards longer releases
The Embarcadero Developer Community has been asking for fewer major releases, with higher quality, higher frequency minor releases.
Mobile and Desktop operating systems have seen some major innovations in the last few years alone, leading to many OS releases. As these platforms and RAD Studio’s support for them matures, the requirement for regular RAD Studio major updates is changing.
While many developers need to have support for the latest platforms, the overhead of retesting and updating 3rd party components adds a large time constraint to their projects, especially if they are focused on the more mature platforms like Windows.
10.1 Berlin introduced Update Subscription as part of the product price, a move that is now allowing for a longer release cycle. Update 1 brings the first steps towards offering new features and platform support in updates while maintaining core compatibility.
10% off RAD Studio until End September
If you don’t have a license to 10.1 Berlin, it is worth checking out the latest offers:
- Mobile add on pack is free with Professional.
- Free bonus pack for Pro, Enterprise and Architect editions, with Konopka Controls, Radiant Shapes, and the PDF of Marco Cantu’s Object Pascal Handbook, updated for 10.1 Berlin.
- 10% discount on pricing!
More information on the offers, valid until September 30th, visit https://www.embarcadero.com/radoffer